not too long ago (a few weeks perhaps) my AT&T EDGE network bandwidth was, lets say, pretty poor.
don't get me wrong, it worked. it had always worked. i'd been using it for a long time (i've been with at&t/cingular for about 7 years) and i'm familiar with the service. on my current device my typical EDGE connection averaged about 75kbit/s. and i got this speed on a regular basis: i ALWAYS seemed to get between 70 and 80 kbit/s.
this was their advertised speed, so i never complained or looked for much more. i've noticed that the MediaNET connection seemed to work better than 'AT&T Internet' - although they connect to the exact same access point...
now, mind you, last january there was some press regarding at&t upgrading their EDGE network, trying to bring the average speed across the network up to, well up to the exact speeds i was getting. so i didn't expect this to affect me. today i noticed some downloads were running faster than i expected, so i ran over to http://dslreports/mspeed and ran a test. for giggles, i've been running the test with 1MB downloads. here ar the results:
AT&T MediaNET: averages about 165kbit/s, with worst case over a dozen tests at 154kbit/s and the best case at 173kbit/s. thats almost 2x the previous performance i've grown accustomed to!
AT&T Internet: i thought i'd test this, since i've avoided it for the last couple years. the average was about 40kbit/s with max of 100kbit/s and min of a paltry 4kbit/s. i got tired of running this test, so i only sampled it 5 times. needless to say, it's not as good as MediaNET. i don't understand why - its the same APN but with a username/password added to it supposedly permitting features like VPN tunnelling (though i've found this works just fine using MediaNET).
so - all you AT&T users out there with real phones (Nokias), go ahead and connect with MediaNET and just delete the Internet access point from your available connections: it's useless.
(note: tests performed on a Nokia N95-1 with v30 firmware)